Welcome to the #1 Toyota GR86 Forum and Toyota GR86 community dedicated to Toyota GR86 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Toyota GR86 Forum today!

3rd Gear Getting Locked Out

mimples

Reactions
City
Duncan
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2024 GR Corolla Premium
grinding 3rd gear randomly. It seems to randomly lock me out of third gear. I was just sitting stationary in the car running through the gears and every 3rd or 4th attempt to get into 3rd resulted in total lockout had to to go another gear and back to 3rd before it would open up. sometimes it was difficult to get in other times impossible. When driving I have had it lock me out and grind with foot on the clutch to the floor. I have been reading others having similar issues.

Red Ryder

Reactions
City
Jonesboro
State
AR
Country
United States
Vehicle
Tesla Model 3 / GR Corolla Core
Welcome! I haven't experienced any 3rd gear lockout and have 3k miles on the GR. Curious was the engine still cold or was it already at operating temperatures?

mimples

Reactions
City
Duncan
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2024 GR Corolla Premium
have 3k also, car was fully warmed up was doing my track day Instructor also noticed the issue. 3rd gear grind 2 times in 2 different sessions. then sitting on the grid just running through gears it would randomly not let me in. Also overheated AWD on last session and oil temps hit 266.

Reactions
City
Amherst
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 GR Corolla
have 3k also, car was fully warmed up was doing my track day Instructor also noticed the issue. 3rd gear grind 2 times in 2 different sessions. then sitting on the grid just running through gears it would randomly not let me in. Also overheated AWD on last session and oil temps hit 266.
Tried changing the differential fluids? There's a couple of how to videos on youtube.

mimples

Reactions
City
Duncan
State
SC
Country
United States
Vehicle
2024 GR Corolla Premium
I am actually swapping out trans, front transfer and rear diff this week. Royal Purple for differentials and oem Toyota for trans. Heard they have been coming under filled from factory. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions
City
Amherst
State
NY
Country
United States
Vehicle
2023 GR Corolla
I am actually swapping out trans, front transfer and rear diff this week. Royal Purple for differentials and oem Toyota for trans. Heard they have been coming under filled from factory. 🤷‍♂️
Keep us posted if that resolves the problem. Yeah boggles my mind how they can underfill these cars.